Friday, February 22, 2013

Siblings and Best Friends




I had to post this just so I wouldn't forget it!

James & JoyAnna were laying on their bellies, side by side, in the middle of the living room talking as I was preparing our last minute things for going away this weekend.

It sounded like they were having their favorite conversation...the one where they discuss how they cannot marry each other when they get older. It usually goes something like this:

James: "JoyAnna, I can't marry you when I grow up."
JoyAnna (sadly): "Why not?"
James: "Cause brothers can't marry sisters. I have to marry someone different."
JoyAnna (even more sadly): "Oh. Okay."

This time I think it started out with James telling JoyAnna how much he loved her, with JoyAnna reciprocating.

(They really are becoming good friends, I love it! Today they had a little argument which they quickly resolved on their own with James apologizing for his sharp words and JoyAnna forgiving him and asking, "Now can we be best friends again?")

Then James said, "When I grow up I will marry a different person and I will miss you..."

This was immediately followed by a more matter of fact statement: "Kids have to grow up, you know."

I think turning 5 has given James a new perspective on life?

On a more serious note, I am praising God for his goodness!! We have been praying that our children would be best friends since we learned that we were expecting JoyAnna. It is so wonderful to see how God is answering that prayer!

It makes me sad to hear people sometimes comment, "Enjoy it now, because when they get a little older they will hate each other." Why? Certainly they are capable, and even prone, to behave this way. Our hearts are wicked. (Jeremiah 17:9, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked. Who really understands how bad it is?") But with lots of encouragement and prayer, I don't see why siblings should not be the best of friends.

Do you have any sweet stories of your children becoming best friends?


No comments:

Post a Comment